Sabbath Rest
Leviticus 23, verses 1–3 gives us what feels like a preamble to its later content. Before God speaks of annual feasts, He begins with the weekly Sabbath. That is important.
Before the celebrations, the pilgrimages, or the sacred seasons, He begins with rest.The Sabbath comes first.
That tells us something profound:
Rest is not an afterthought in the life of God’s people. It is foundational. God did not give Sabbath as punishment. He gave it as a gift.
It was never meant to be a burden. It was meant to be merciful blessing. A day to step away from ordinary work and striving.A day to be restored.A day to remember that God is God, and we are not.
The Sabbath invites us to stop looking at our work and refocus on His. It reminds us that the world continues spinning without our constant effort.That is humbling,
and it is freeing.
For many of us this is difficult.
Because stopping is difficult.
There is always one more load of laundry, one more email, or one more meal. One more thing to prepare. One more need to meet.
The work is never fully done.
Since the work is never done, rest can feel irresponsible.
The Sabbath exposes something in us.It reveals how hard it is to trust God enough to stop. The Sabbath is not just about rest. It is about surrender.
It is the surrender of our schedules-our productivity, our sense of control-- even our need to keep everything moving.
If we are honest, that is hard.
I know it is for me. I do not Sabbath naturally. I do not stop easily.
My mind moves to the next task, the next need, the next responsibility. And often, I keep going.
But when I refuse God’s rhythm, I am the one who misses the blessing. I miss the rest. I miss the reset. I miss the reminder. I miss the gift. That gift is Jesus who ultimately fulfilled the Sabbath rest presented in the Old Testament.
Remember the rhythms? Rest is an integral part of the daily and weekly rhythms our God set in motion at Creation. He wove the Sabbath into the festivals and remembrance celebrations as a part of the worship offered back to Him. Even the land was commanded to take a rest every seven years! This pointed ahead to the perfect rest that Jesus came to offer.
This is a Sacred rhythm. A rhythm of worship and restoration. One that reminds us of our all-powerful Creator. While we are restored in mind and spirit, we simultaneously offer to the Lord the honor due His name. Yes, Jesus fulfilled this perfectly. But the offer of rest did not end with Jesus. The Sabbath continues as a regular reminder and gift to our bodies and souls.
Only our God could create such a beautiful pattern of worship and restoration. He offers us rest in our earthly lives and rest in our Spirit through Jesus. We just have to accept it!
Soli Deo Gloria!
Heather Sparks
Comments
Post a Comment